The Program matches FLI students with FLI Network members for a self-directed, coaching-style mentorship commitment. The goal of the program is to provide an opportunity for students to enhance their academic, professional, and social networks and skills, and provide the campus community with a meaningful opportunity to support and champion FLI students.
Champions are administrators, faculty, alumni, allies, and (as appropriate) grad/professional students who share similar identities, backgrounds, and interests. A champion is someone who understands all UChicago students have proven track records of success, and operates from a strengths-based attitude. Coachess are undergraduate and grad/professional students who identify as FLI.
A coaching approach focuses on the high-potential and existing competencies of both coachee and champions, in a goal-oriented, affirming relationship. In this way, the program provides the flexibility for each pair to determine the length of engagement, ensures results are met, places both participants as equally valuable members, and fosters a more meaningful relationship.
Roles and Expectations
- Participants are paired according to indicated interests and identities and will receive training and support from the program liaisons.
- The paired participants will work on an academic, personal or professional goal set jointly by the coachee and their Champion.
- Selected participants are expected to meet, virtually until further notice, an average of two hours per month.
We will be offering Coaches and coachees three workshops focused on skill building for stronger relationships. Workshops will take place via Zoom over the course of the year in Central Standard Time, topics build on each other, and will provide actionable tools for both coaches and coachees to use. Selected participants are strongly encouraged to participate in all three workshops.
- Unpacking Community Cultural Wealth
- Friday, October 23, 2020
- 4:30 – 5:30 pm
- Visibility and Value: Community Cultural Wealth-Based Narratives
- Tuesday, December 1, 2020
- 12-1 pm
- Leveraging Community Cultural Wealth: Strengthening the Mentoring Relationship through Personal Advocacy
- Friday, February 5, 2021
- 12-1 pm
Sign up to be a Coach or Coachee!
For any questions or concerns please email email@example.com